Autumn days call for warming soups. Having just been for a fabulously cold swim this morning, all I could think of was making a warming soup for lunch. This recipe is so quick and so simple and great served with garlic bread!
1 tsp Coconut oil
3 Garlic cloves
1 Celery stick
500g Mixed mushrooms – wiped clean and chopped- chestnut, button, portobello, wild
Handful of Dried wild mushrooms
Handful of Fresh thyme
1 litre of Vegetable stock
1. Place the dried mushrooms in a small bowl and add enough boiling water to cover them. Leave to one side.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan and add finely chopped onion, celery and garlic. Sweat till soft and golden.
3. Add the chopped mushrooms, thyme leaves and leave to soften for about five minutes on a low heat.
4. Once softened add the stock, enough to cover the mushroom mix, the soaked dried mushrooms and their fluid. Bring to the boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Once cooked remove from the heat and blend to smooth consistency. A hand blender is great in this instance. You can add more stock, milk (dairy or Non) or cream, till you get your desired consistency.
6. Served with chunky bread, ciabatta or garlic bread is fabulous.