Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins
This recipe I adapted from a recipe by Jamie Oliver. He is often my go to when searching for a particular recipe. I needed a gluten free, healthy, fruity muffin to serve after our yoga workshop. We were taking the time to share a light, brunch together and this recipe was perfect. It’s quick, easy and they taste good too. I filled a basket full and they went down a treat. If you are wandering where I get the brown paper cases from, I buy them on line and I think they make them look even more divine. Have fun and whip some up fro family and friends. Finally, for an Autumnal variation you can substitute the Bluberry for Blackberries.
- 200 g unsalted butter
- 50 g gluten-free plain flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 175 g ground almonds
- 190 g soft brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 large free-range eggs
- 50 g chocolate ( milk/white/dark)
- 150 g blueberries
Firstly if you are not sure what Xanthum gum is, its a white powder and is a food thickening agent that is used a lot in gluten free recipes. You can buy it online or in most health food stores.
1. Preheat your oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper cases.
2. In a pan melt butter over a medium heat, then leave to cool slightly. Meanwhile, sieve the flour and xanthan gum into a bowl, keep the sieve high to add more air in and stir in the ground almonds and sugar. Add the melted butter and vanilla extract, then fold through.
3. In another bowl, separate the egg whites (keep the yolks for another day). Whisk the whites well for 1 to 2 minutes, or until they start to froth, this air will help your muffins be light and fluffy. Then, using a metal spoon, stir the egg whites into the flour mixture a little at a time – you want to keep it as light and airy as possible so make sure you don’t stir too much. Roughly chop the chocolate, then stir in along with the blueberries.
4. Divide the mixture between the paper cases. Place on the middle shelf of the hot oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden and an inserted skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire cooling rack, then serve. Great for breakfast on the go or as a treat any time of the day.