courgette, rocket & feta slice
We think this tasty cheese slice is a cross between a quiche without the pastry and a fancy omlette. We are always looking for healthy treats for when we head out in the hills, either walking or out on the bikes. The snacks need to be energizing, protein rich and also able to withstand being squashed in a ruck sack too. These slices are a winner for this. They also make for a delicious savoury breakfast brunch, or serve with a large green salad and crusty bread for a lunch to share with friends.
Serves 8 or (4 if they are hungry boys on a bike ride!)
Coconut oil., butter or ghee for greasing
2-3 large couurgettes
1 tsp salt
250g tub ricotta cheese
75g grated parmesan
2 spring onions
handful chopped flat leaf parsley
handful roughly chopped rocket leaves
Zest of 1 lemon
3 large egss, well beaten
(opt 4 leaves chopped wild garlic)
75g crumbled feta cheese
Handful pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 170 (Gas 3) and grease a 23cm cake tin or small baking tray.
- Grate the courgette and place in a colander or sturdy sieve, then sprinkle over the salt which helps to draw out excess moisture. Leave for 15minutes.
- Combine the ricotta, parmesan, springs onions, parsley, rocket, lemon zest, and wild garlic if using, in a large bowl. Using a fork to help break up the cheese, it should be a soft consistency.
- Squeeze out as much moisture as possible from the courgettes using your hands. Add this now along with the eggs to the cheese mixture.
- Pour into your tin and bake for 45minutes-1 hour. Check to see when the top starts to brown.
- At this point remove from the oven sprinkle with the feta cheese and pumpkin seeds. Return to the oven for a further 15minutes until the cheese has softened and melted.
- The slice is best when left to cool completely and then allowed to set. So serving at room temperature is a good option.